- Manage python packages much like apt-get manages system packages
- Automatically build C-extensions as required
- Automatically upgrade/downgrade packages based on your specs
We found "pip" to be VERY fast at enumerating already installed packages. To see this for yourself, re-run the above command! We currently have about 35 packages in production and "pip" can enumerate all of these in about half a second.
- Isolate yourself from PyPi going down
- Download all packages over a local network connection (Speedy!)
- Manage custom-modified packages and have them install as part of the standard requirements process - for example, if you needed to hack Tornado
Thanks to “pip” we’ve managed to tame our package installation process. Hopefully, after reading this article you will have too :)